top of page




What can be done when someone is ordered by the courts to do (or not do) something, but refuses to follow that order? A contempt action is one in which a party is asking the court to enforce its authority against the other party. The most common subject of a contempt action as it pertains to family law is for the failure to pay child support, but contempt actions can cover a vast range of subjects, from failing to make alimony payments to not timely selling the house.


Contempt cases usually involve a request for jail time. If you are seeking to sue someone for contempt, or have been sued for contempt, it is important to seek legal counsel. 

bottom of page